When you decide to self-publish, you’ve committed yourself to becoming the publisher of your book. Publishers do a lot of things. Here’s a partial list.
- Edit the manuscript (more than once)
- Design the cover
- Design the inside of the book
- Lay out the book
- Arrange for printing
- Arrange for getting the book into distribution
- Take care of creating the ebook version
- Registering the title
- Arranging for the bar code
That’s a partial list of what you’re responsible for when you decide to self-publish. And that means you will either have to do those things yourself or pay someone else to do them.
Self-publishing may be the right choice for you, but you should make it with your eyes wide open.